Val and Frank Late Fountain dedicated

Presdient R. Gerald Turner speaks at the Val and Frank Late Fountain presentation Thursday morning.
Jennie Nguyen

Presdient R. Gerald Turner speaks at the Val and Frank Late Fountain presentation Thursday morning. (Jennie Nguyen)

President R. Gerald Turner and members of the Late family unveiled the Val and Frank Late Foundation Thursday morning.

The fountain, located between the Airline Parking Garage and the site of the future Annette Caldwell Simmons Hall, is 42-feet by 64-feet. It has six different settings in one cycle.

Frank Late, who died in 2002, and his wife Valeria have provided support for the Laura Lee Blanton Student Services Building, the Altshuler Learning Enhancement Center and the SMU Annual Fund. Valeria Late is a member of the Dallas Hall Society and was on the Dedman College Executive Board from 1998 to 2004.

“The Val and Frank Late Fountain will provide a gathering place for students and a beautiful arrival point on SMU’s east campus, as one approaches the campus from Central Expressway on University Boulevard,” Turner said. “The beauty of the SMU campus is one of its greatest attractions to prospective students. We are grateful to Val Late for enhancing the beauty of the rapidly developing east campus.”

The audience previews all six settings in the cycle of the Val and Frank Late Fountain Thursday morning. (Meredith Shamburger)