Senators discuss graduation fees

As the semester wraps up and students begin to prepare for exams, the student senate is winding down its legislative activity for the semester.

Lyle Senator Joe Esau proposed “A Resolution Urging the Cessation of Graduation Diploma Fee,” pushing to eliminate the mandatory $45 graduation fee, the $70 late free and the extra $45 for students with multiple majors.

After researching the Internet and Senate public archives, Esau feels “there is no justification for graduation fees.”

Esau said, “With tuition rates going up every year and class giving being emphasized more than ever, it seems counter intuitive to charge students to graduate, especially six weeks before the day of Commencement.”

Some of the other senators opposed Esau’s initiative.

Lyle Senator Christian Genco agrees with Esau that graduation fees are “a slap in the face” but wants to know where Esau expects the funding to come from.

Dedman II Senator Jeff Whelan asked whether or not other universities require graduation fees and how SMU compares.

Law Senator Jason Sansone pointed out that without mandatory graduation fees, the $45 would be charged elsewhere, asking whether students would prefer a tuition increase initially or just pay the graduation fees at the end.

In response to objectors, Esau replied, “there’s three things you can count on: death, taxes and SMU raising tuition.”

“It’s a good idea, initiative [to eliminate graduation fees], but in the end, it will come down to money,” Dedman I Senator Parminder Deo said. “We will eventually have to pay elsewhere for it either in tuition, etc.”