At face value: facials to boost

As if we don’t already fixate on our skin to the point of filling our medicine cabinets (and most likely our sock drawers too) with products galore, there is a new skin care spa and collection of about 60 products in town that we can add to our obsession. Ladies and gentlemen, open your eyes to the new Renée Rouleau Skin Care Spa, located in the ever-growing and ultra-trendy One Arts Plaza (the building with the curiously placed, yet meaningless, neon box on the side of it.) The grand opening party, held Jan. 24, was just as happening as its location, with elegant décor and an eclectic assortment of hors d’oeuvres. There was even an antioxidant cocktail so the guests would leave feeling refreshed, a little happier than they were before the party and guiltless for a week-night indulgence.

While the spa’s services and product line will leave your pockets a bit less than empty (e.g. the $600 Synergy 7 facial), it is well worth the investment. After all, the spa was rated as having the “best facials in Dallas” by Allure Magazine and its AHA/BHA Cleansing Gel received the Allure Magazine Best of Beauty Editor’s Choice Award in 2007. During my conversation with the stylish Renée Rouleau, I learned the spa is unique in that it caters to nine different skin types instead of the typical dry, normal and oily. The skin care spa lingers somewhere between the pampering of a traditional spa and the results-orientation of medical treatments.

After receiving my first customized facial last weekend at the new location, I have officially decided to convert to Renee-ism. The esthetician was very thorough and catered to all my skin care needs; I felt like a million bucks after all was said and done. As for now, Mrs. Rouleau recommends the Cranberry-Brasian Facial for $195, a less expensive and more enjoyable option for college students. You might need to stick to PB and J for a week, but the results more than compensate for your stinginess with life’s other necessities.

Renée Rouleau Skin Care Spa is located at One Arts Plaza, 1722 Routh Street, Downtown (214-735-4364); 4025 Preston Road, suite 606, Plano (972-378-6655 or reneerouleau.com).