Expanding your Horizons

Making new friends and escaping the ‘bubble’

For the first 18 years of my life I lived in the same town, went to the same school and hung out with largely the same people. Although the town was big (Atlanta), the school was small, private and Christian. Needless to say, there was not a lot of diversity there. The friends I spent time with shared similar backgrounds and interests to me. Although I will cherish the relationships I made forever, by the end of my senior year of high school I was itching to escape this bubble.

College provides students with a unique opportunity to meet people from many different places, cultures and backgrounds. This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to interact with such a diverse community of individuals. So why do so many students choose to exclusively spend time with people just like themselves?

Often times, individuals from similar geographical locations group together, whether their hometown is Los Angeles, Mexico City or Atlanta. While it is easy to understand the initial friendships forged between same-city dwellers (mutual friends and common stomping grounds create plentiful fodder for conversation), it is a shame to travel far away for college only to hang out with people who live within a 20-mile radius of one’s hometown.

Thanks to second semester rush, new SMU students have more opportunities to meet a diverse crowd of individuals since they are not immediately ushered into a set group. Despite it’s possible limiting factors, Greek life is a great way to meet new people. However, although fraternity and sorority members may come from all over, most organizations share similar backgrounds and some level of common interest. While joining a sorority or fraternity instantly provides a plethora of potential new pals, members should make sure to develop and maintain relationships both in and outside of their Greek letters.

Assuming the vast majority of students will enter the work force and eventually settle down somewhere, they will probably end up surrounded by other people very similar to themselves. Although this is not necessarily a bad thing, it should encourage students to take advantage of their current situation. Regardless of skin color, value system, socio-economic background, nationality, interests or religion all students have one thing in common; (most) everyone comes to campus for class everyday. Don’t be afraid to reach out. Ask that cool girl from accounting class to study with you. See if that guy you sit by with the crazy lettering on his binder wants to help you make your mom a birthday card. Chances are, these people will appreciate your effort to reach out. Everyone benefits; there is no such thing as one friend too many.

So I’m not saying go seek out new best friends. But don’t be that student who surrounds himself with 15 versions of essentially the same person; make an effort to step outside your comfort zone and reach out to someone new. Learn how and why they think in a certain way. Be approachable and make friendships that will expand your mind and broaden your horizons. You may be surprised what you’ll learn about yourself.

-Kelsey Adams

Associate Entertainment Editor