Martin Sheen to replace Michael Douglas

Due to unforeseen professional obligations as part of filming and production delays on his current projects, Michael Douglas will no longer be able to present the Tolleson Lecture as part of the Tate Lecture Series on Feb. 5. In his place, Emmy- and Golden Globe Award-winning actor Martin Sheen will be on campus to deliver the lecture, as well as a student forum.

Mr. Sheen has appeared in such roles as Captain Benjamin L. Willard in “Apocalypse Now,” Carl Fox in “Wall Street,” and President Josiah Bartlet in the television series ” The West Wing.” Mainstream cinematic audiences likely remember seeing Sheen last as Detective Captain Oliver Queenan from “The Departed,” freefalling off the abandoned building on 344 Washington Street.

The Turner Construction Student Forum with Mr. Sheen will be at 4:30 p.m. on Feb. 5 in the ballroom of the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. Tickets, which are free, are required for this event. Students, faculty and staff may pick up tickets beginning at 9 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29, at the Mane Desk in Hughes-Trigg. Tickets are limited to one per SMU ID.

For the evening lecture, students should come to the basement of McFarlin Auditorium with their SMU IDs at 7 p.m. on Feb. 5. Backpacks are prohibited. Because the evening lecture is sold out, there are no faculty or staff tickets for the lecture.