Methodism exhibit opens in Bridwell Library

Bridwell Library opened a new exhibit to the public entitled “Methodism in the American South” yesterday. The exhibit, located in the Elizabeth Perkins Prothro Galleries inside the library, will be open to the public until July 11.

The exhibit includes letters, photographs, periodicals, class tickets, maps, figurines and books, among other items. Each item is historically significant to Methodism.

“It’s a wide range of materials pertaining to Methodism,” Dr. James McMillin, associate director and co-curator of special collections at Bridwell Library said.

The exhibition’s Web site notes the Methodist Church’s role in the Second and Third Great Awakenings, as well as the turmoil that the church endured following the Civil War.

“The exhibit traces Methodism from the foundation to reunification,” McMillin said, explaining that materials in the exhibit range in date from the colonial era (circa 1730) to 1939.

The materials “combine to illustrate Methodism’s origins, expansion, and influence on southern culture and society,” according to the exhibition’s Web site.

“We hope to show the role (Methodism) played in Southern society,” McMillin said.

The Web site elaborates on this role, stating, “After the Civil War, many Methodists advocated reform and were especially active in the social movements of the early 20th century, including temperance, social justice, education and church reform.”

The library typically hosts three to four exhibits per year associated with its collections in order to bring them attention. McMillin noted that the timing of this exhibit allows the library’s collections greater exposure.

“We are hoping to draw attention to Methodism, especially since the General Conference of the United Methodist Church is meeting in Fort Worth this spring,” McMillin said.

The exhibit is free of charge and open to the public during Bridwell Library’s normal operating hours. More information can be found on Bridwell Library’s Web site at smu.edu/bridwell/exhibits/south2008exhibit.htm.