Explore Dallas, visit state’s largest zoo this spring break

SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
Dallas Museum of Art entrance on N. Harwood St.

Dallas Museum of Art entrance on N. Harwood St. (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

Sunscreen, Mexico and drink specials are just a few of words that come to mind when college students hear the words spring break. 

With this week of freedom just around the corner, many students find themselves stuck in Dallas without any agenda. 

Although it is not a Cabo getaway, the Dallas-Fort Worth area offers unlimited opportunities to prevent students from getting restless while on break.

“I plan to kick off my spring break by running in the St. Patty’s Dash Down Greenville 5K,” sophomore engineering major Kelsey McFarlin said.  “My brother-in-law raved about the event and I decided I needed to check it out for myself.” 

The Dash Down Greenville kicks off the beginning of Dallas’ St. Patrick’s Day Celebration on March 12. It is an opportunity to contribute to The North Texas Food Bank, as well as enjoy live music, food and a parade. Same day registration begins at 7 a.m. and costs $30.  The race starts at 8:30 a.m.

SMU provides students with an alternative spring break for those looking for service opportunities.  Applications are still being accepted for the “Community Development in Rural America” program. 

Students will spend the week in a rural area working with local children and discussing concerns such as globalization and the U.S. education system.

From March 14 to 18, students can attend another unconventional spring break option in Austin, Texas.

“The Anti-Death Penalty Alternative Spring Break” is a four-day, anti-death penalty activism to promote the education of the next generation of human rights leaders.

Participants will be given the opportunity to implement a public rally at the Capitol, write press releases and lead a press conference with people formerly on death row. All events are free and open to the public. Housing is $25 for four nights. 

For those students who want to take the more laid back route, trips to the Dallas Museum of Art and the Dallas Zoo are always an option.

The Dallas Museum of Art is currently hosting a number of exhibits.  Students can experience Gustav Stickley and the American Arts & Crafts Movement for just $10.  His exhibition includes over 100 works of furniture, lighting, textiles and design drawings.

The Dallas Zoo is the largest zoological park in Texas with over 95 acres of land.  A trip to the zoo is a memorable way to spend your day for only $15.

Junior Christina Rancke is in Dallas this spring break, and happy about it.

“With my crazy schedule and midterms, I feel like lately I have only experienced class and the library.  From the zoo to shopping and museums, Dallas is an awesome city and I can’t wait to explore it this Spring Break.”