NYC classic in DFW

The national tour of “Thoroughly Modern Millie” has set up camp in the Eisemann Center in Richardson this past weekend, dazzling audiences with its incredible tap dance numbers and vibrant cast.

For the uninitiated, “Thoroughly Modern Millie” was 2002’s most-awarded new show on Broadway, earning six Tony Awards, including Best Musical. Based on the 1967 film starring Julie Andrews, the show is set in the Roaring 20s and tells the story of a Midwestern girl who packs up and moves to New York City.

Upon arrival, Millie raises her hemline, bobs her hair and takes on a “modern” approach to life and love. The show, thanks to its spontaneous songs, sidesplitting slapstick and generally “fluffy” tone, is a classic musical in every sense of the word. “Thoroughly Modern Millie” features 15 songs, including nine new songs by Jeanine Tesori with lyrics by Dick Scanlan.

The Friday night performance was highly entertaining, if not always comprehensible. The cast took energy to new heights, sometimes speaking too fast for the audience to catch the jokes. But, for the most part, comedic timing was spot-on across the board. Alex Ellis as Millie and Elizabeth Murff as Mrs. Meers were the evening’s real standouts, rising above occasional technical difficulties to delight the audience with dynamic performances. Jason Fleck was also charmingly pompous as Trevor Graydon, Millie’s boss.

Dancing literally took center stage in a performance that contained slightly lackluster vocal performances. The numerous ensemble tap numbers were truly a sight to behold. The sparkling costumes and art deco set only added to the exceptional visuals of the show, although the numerous set changes occasionally distracted from the show’s rhythm.

Overall, the show was well worth the ticket price. “Thoroughly Modern Millie” is a gem among musicals, and the traveling company served it well.

For those interested in a night on Broadway, “42nd Street” comes to the Eisemann Center March 10-12, while “A Chorus Line” arrives May 19-21.