Blocker reflects on first semester

Robert Blocker’s first semester featured two dean’s searches, adjusting to a new campus and responding to one of the largest natural disasters in American history. But, when asked what his biggest surprise of the semester was, he mentioned how quickly the semester went by.

“It was full of interesting meetings with faculty, students – it seemed like I had been here a week and it was over with,” Blocker said.

The response to Hurricane Katrina was “one of the proudest moments of my personal and professional life.”

SMU enrolled students from the hurricane disaster area – mostly from Tulane – in a two-week period following the event. Blocker credited the staff in the admissions office for taking such a large role in the aftermath.

“It was heartwarming to see the reactions of the staff and the students also,” he said.

Blocker said he was pleased to see how easily the new students assimilated into the SMU population.

“SMU showed its heart and the best of what an institution should be,” he said

Blocker said that he will continue to watch the universities in the New Orleans area to see how they revive themselves.

“They are in a very transitional period, with schools most likely having to work together with the governmental agencies,” Blocker said. “Life probably won’t be the same for a while.”

The other large issue before Blocker is the ongoing search for deans of the Dedman and Meadows schools.

“I’m working closely with search chairs with both committees on their progress,” Blocker said.

Prospective candidates will interview with Blocker during their campus visits. He said that he is looking for people who have proven records of success, leadership skills and an understanding of the values that are reflective of SMU.

“I’m interested not only in someone who we can learn from, but someone who cares about the students and faculty,” Blocker said.

When asked what the biggest difference between Yale and SMU is, Blocker said the delivery of instruction to students.”There is not yet a strong emphasis in graduate level research here,” he said.

However, Blocker believes there is far more in common between the schools, the most important being that both schools “look after their students.”

For his second semester, Blocker said he has three goals: to bring the dean searches to a close, to work to prepare the next strategic plan and to begin the process of reviewing the General Education Curriculum.

“I’m still learning – but I appreciate the most that everyone from president to groundskeeper cares about this institution,” he said.