Dallas Museum of Art to feature works from British Museum’s Greek and Roman collection

Courtesy of studyblue.com
“Discobolus” is a Roman marble statue dating to the second century A.D.

“Discobolus” is a Roman marble statue dating to the second century A.D. (Courtesy of studyblue.com)

The Dallas Museum of Art is hosting an exhibit entitled, “The Body Beautiful in Ancient Greece: Masterworks from the British Museum,” that will open on Sunday, May 5.

The internationally touring exhibition features the works of over 120 objects that explore the human form.

According to the British Museum, the ancient Greeks experimented with representation of the human body with works of abstract simplicity to pieces of realism.

The works are exclusively from the British Museum’s famous collection of Roman and Greek sculptures.

The exhibition arranges the works to appear as a representation of how Ancient Olympia would have appeared around the year 100 B.C.

Among the featured pieces are marble and bronze sculptures, vessels, funerary objects and jewelry.

Some of the pieces date back to the second millennium B.C.

The exhibit is arranged in ten unique thematic sections that depict the ways the Greeks experimented with representation of the human figure.

Works are divided into the following categories: “The Male Body Beautiful,” “Aphrodite and the Female Body,” “The Divine Body,” “Herakles: An Ancient Superman,” “Athletes,” “Birth, Marriage, and Death,” “Sex and Desire,” “Outsiders,” “Character and Realism” and “The Human Face.”

Included in the exhibition are some famous pieces.

Among the featured works is “Discobolos,” the famous marble statue of a “discus thrower” that dates back to the 2nd century A.D.

The Romans commonly explored the human body through the movement of athletics.

“The Body Beautiful in Ancient Greece: Masterworks from the British Museum” is the first tour that the “Discobolus” has been loaned to.

The exhibition is organized by the British Museum and curated by Ian Jenkins and Victoria Turner.

The curator of the Dallas exhibit is Anne Bromberg, The Cecil and Ida Green Curator of Ancient and Asian Art.

In addition to the many sculptural works, the exhibition will also be accompanied by a full-color catalogue.

“The Body Beautiful in Ancient Greece: Masterworks from the British Museum” will be on display at the DMA until October 6, 2013.

Admission to see this exhibit requires a special exhibition ticket.

Ticket prices are $16 for adults, with discounts for students, military personnel and seniors.

Admission for DMA partners and children 11 and under is free.

There are several other exhibitions currently on display at the DMA.

The photographs of the “Cindy Sherman” exhibit will be open until June 9.

“Chagall: Beyond Color” will continue to be on display until May 26, 2013.

“Loren Mozley: Structural Integrity” displays the works of Texas Modernist, Loren Mozley, and will remain open until June 30.

“Form/Unformed: Design from 1960 to Present” features 30 works drawn from the Museum’s collections dating back to the 1960s. The exhibition will be open until Dec. 2013.