Winners and losers of the 2013 SAG Awards

+A+life+destined+for+stage
A life destined for stage

The actors of Modern Family won best comedy series cast. (Courtesy of AP)

The 19th Annual Screen Actors’ Guild Awards took place this past Sunday on TBS. This particular awards show is special due to the fact that actors vote for other actors.

To some degree, winning an ‘actor’ is underrated; it is not associated with the decadence or prestige of the Academy Awards, but the reality is that winning a SAG Award means that one’s peers and other talented actors have voted for the winner.

Another unique aspect of this awards show is that directors, writers, producers and others are not up for awards. Additionally, the word “actress” is omitted and women too, are referred to as actors.

It was no surprise that Anne Hathaway won for Best Supporting Female Actor for “Les Miserable’s” seeing as she received both the Golden Globe and the Critics’ Choice Award weeks earlier.

Cutting her hair and live singing all in one take sure seems to deserve an award.

Best Supporting Actor went to Tommy Lee Jones, a Dallas native, for his performance in “Lincoln.”

The night’s biggest steal was Best Female Actor, which went to Jennifer Lawrence of “Silver Linings Playbook.”

Jessica Chastain was the expected recipient since she won the Golden Globe and the Critics Choice Award from her role of Maya in “Zero Dark Thirty.”

Naomi Watts was another nominee for Best Actress in “The Impossible” where she was pushed to her limits portraying a mother whose family was greatly affected by the tsunami in Thailand.

Ultimately, Lawrence received the award and surprised the viewers of the show.

The other big winner of the night was Ben Affleck who had a major victory when “Argo” beat “Silver Linings Playbook” and “Lincoln.”

By winning this honor at the SAG Awards, “Argo” will be a front-runner at the Academy Awards to win Best Film.

Other highlights of the show include “30 Rock” winners Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin both winning in their respective categories, Best Actress in a Television Comedy and Best Actor in a Television Comedy.

For the third consecutive year “Modern Family” won for Best Ensemble in a Television Comedy.

“Downton Abbey” deserved their achievement for Best Ensemble Cast in a Drama.

Dick van Dyke won the Lifetime Achievement Award and was just as lively and energetic today as he had been throughout his incredible career.

Unlike other award shows that are televised, the SAG Awards are not hosted by anyone.The show opens up with a number of actors explaining why they became an actor; their speeches all end with “I am (insert name here), and I am an actor.”

The biggest shocker of the night occurred when Jennifer Lawrence appeared to suffer a wardrobe malfunction while approaching the stage to accept her Best Female Actor award. Lawrence’s navy blue Christian Dior strapless gown appeared to rip and expose her legs.

In reality, there was no wardrobe malfunction, but rather an issue with the layer of tulle in the dress when she lifted the bottom to walk on stage.

With the exception of Lawrence’s supposed wardrobe malfunction, the 2013 SAG Awards did not hold many surprises. It did include actors drinking and eating the night away similar to the Golden Globes, but this year was relatively calm.