Dr. Temple Grandlin to speak on undeniable human-animal bond Thursday

Distinguished author and one of Time Magazine’s 2010 “100 Most Influential People in the World,” Dr. Temple Grandin will speak in McFarlin Auditorium Thursday.

Dr. Grandin will speak on the undeniable human animal bond she explains in her books Animals Make Us Human and Animals in Translation where she discusses the way animals impact the human world.

Dr. Grandin is known not only for her passion for people with autism but also as an advocate for humane animal treatment.

She has worked with fast food companies, such as McDonald’s and Wendy’s, and consulted them on how to treat their livestock. Dr. Grandin also invented a stress-free slaughter system, which is largely used for meat processing throughout the U.S. and Canada.

“An Evening with Temple Grandin—Animals Make us Human” is presented by Texas’ first puppy raising group Guide Dogs for the Blind and Lone Star Puppy Raisers.

Lone Star Puppy Raisers consists of a group of experienced individuals and families throughout North Texas. They have the skills and commitment necessary to train and raise pups in preparation for formal training to become a guide dog. The non-profit supports and encourages each puppy and raiser for them to reach their full potential.

The evening will begin with Dr. Grandin’s lecture at 8 p.m. and be followed by a brief question and answer session. Proceeds from the event will benefit Guide Dogs for the Blind and Lone Star Puppy Raisers. Tickets can be purchased at www.templegrandin.ticketleap.com.