Block party brings campus together

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Students attend a ‘safe’ on-campus event sponsored by Program Council.

Students attend a ‘safe’ on-campus event sponsored by Program Council. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Block Party on the Boulevard, held on Friday, commenced in low-key fashion. Around 9 p.m., students made their way to the flagpole for a night of dancing, food and fun.

“I was actually just walking [and] saw lights, people,” graduate student Dameron Growe said. “As I came over, I saw people I knew, free food, [I stayed to enjoy] the festivities.”

The first Block Party, the brainchild of the Program Council, was held in 2011 to rouse enthusiasm and camaraderie for the new school year.

“The whole team wanted to improve from the [last block party] and find things that were better,” Jonathan Machemehl, president of Program Council, said. “I think the turn out [looks] great.”

Representatives from student organizations also attended, circling the commotion with flyers and fun activities.

Partygoers played ladder ball, shot free throws, and snacked on popsicles throughout the night.

“[Association of Black Students] was contacted over the summer to get involved in the block party,” ABS President Devean Owens said. “I thought it was a great idea for our organization to get involved. I encourage other organizations to do it next year.”

The main attraction of the party was the dance floor. Program Council tapped Billy the Kid of 106.1 Kiss FM to host and disc jockey the event. Kid supplied music for the entire night, spinning an eclectic mix of tunes.

Singer Jonathan Cook and guitarist Caleb Turman of local pop-punk outfit Forever the Sickest Kids cohosted the event and played stage fixtures.

Attendees responded to tunes by hitting the dance floor and getting loose.

The energy of the crowd lasted all night, with dancers bobbing and stepping in lighthearted revelry. Party-goers wobbled, chacha-ed and shuffled in tireless succession.

“I like the music, and the food [is] really good,” freshman Christina Collier said.

“I liked the [song selection] – a lot of throwbacks.”

Program Council thanked local restaurant-caterer Bubba’s and event sponsor Cutter halfway through the night.

SMU Student Body President Alex Mace then called for students to storm the stage for photo-ops with Billy the Kid. Students basked in the good vibes of the night for hours.

“I am very impressed. This is exactly what we wanted,” Elise McDonald, Program Council’s vice president of finance, said. “We wanted people to come out and have a great time. I am glad there are so many upperclassmen and freshmen here, having a good time on the block.”