Florence delights, others disappoint at Austin City Limits

The+Shins%2C+an+American+indie+rock+band+from+Albuquerque%2C+N.M.%2C+played+at+the+AMD+stage+Saturday+afternoon+after+a+downpour+at+Austin+City+Limits+in+Zilker+Park.+Jessica+Dobson+plays+guitar+while+she+sings+back+up.+
Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
The Shins, an American indie rock band from Albuquerque, N.M., played at the AMD stage Saturday afternoon after a downpour at Austin City Limits in Zilker Park. Jessica Dobson plays guitar while she sings back up.

The Shins, an American indie rock band from Albuquerque, N.M., played at the AMD stage Saturday afternoon after a downpour at Austin City Limits in Zilker Park. Jessica Dobson plays guitar while she sings back up. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Austin City Limits, one of the nation’s premiere music festivals, closed its last one-weekend festival Sunday night with an electric set by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The show was the defining moment of three day affair that included the likes of Two Door Cinema Club, The Shins, Florence + the Machine and Childish Gambino.

This wasn’t your mother’s music festival.

Friday featured a slew of big names including Florence + the Machine, Weezer, AVICII, the Black Keys and M83.

The highlight of the night was none other than Florence + the Machine. In a deep emerald gown and fiery red hair, Florence belted hits such as “Cosmic Love,” “Shake it Out” and the crowd favorite “Dog Days Are Over.”

The British songstress continually referred to the concept of “festival” by urging the concertgoers to embrace one another, throw each other on another’s shoulders and even challenged the audience to kiss their neighbors, strangers or not. While her banter between songs was entertaining, it was the Grammy winner’s ethereal voice that truly stole the show.

After Florence + the Machine, came M83, the French electronic band that recently made ways with its song “Midnight City.” The way the band is structured, technically, allows for there to be three lead singers.

The band played its hits such as “The Aforementioned,” “Midnight City,” “Reunion” and “Altro.”

While some bands may use lighting as a supporting character in its shows, M83 created a memorizing, dazzling show that complimented the band’s techno sound perfectly.

With Saturday’s arrival came the event that no music festival ever wants to see – rain.

For a quick 45 minutes, the dark blue skys of Austin unleashed a downpour upon Zilker Park leaving the festival a damp, muddy mess.

The rain didn’t stop American indie rock band The Shins from taking its slighty soaked stage.

Dressed in almost matching (on purpose) chambray shirts, The Shins, along with lead singer James Mercer, played the band’s most popular songs like “Simple Song,” “Taken for a Fool,” and “Phantom Limb.”

While The Shins sound was spot on and closely resembled its well-produced albums, hours before, Canadian indie band Metric seemed to be having trouble finding acoustic balance on the AMD Stage.

This technical glitch was quite the shame as the band’s hit “Help I’m Alive” came off as placid and lifeless.

While Saturday may have been a metrological mess, Sunday proved to make up for the previous day’s wild weather.

The day’s highlights included the Avett Brothers, Childish Gambino and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Childish Gambino had a perfect performance during the star-studded evening.

Just like his CD, Gambino’s sound was loud and aggressive.

The festival’s massive crowd gathered to see Red Hot Chili Peppers up close.

Even though the band’s sound was quiet (at least from our far, far away eats) the legendary rock group did not disappoint.