Get your wallets out folks, here comes Valentine’s Day.

Every year it is the same procedure. Stores nationwide begin to shelve their winter wonderland interiors for a more blinding yet sweet appeal – the notion of love, and it comes in red and pink.

Hallmark and all drug stores known to man look as though they threw up the color red. Boxes of candy, teddy bears and cards scream, “Buy me!” Lingerie stores like Victoria Secret elicit products that exude sexy and “Oh boy, you’ll love me in this!” Tiffany’s even puts a red ribbon on its signature blue box to make the gift of jewelry more remarkable.

But, it seems as though, just like at Christmas, the message gets lost in the aisles between the Valentine’s Day candy and the cheap Sponge Bob kiddie cards with all the hustle and bustle.

Since when has it become so complicated to tell someone you care about him or her?

Feb. 14 has been designated Valentine’s Day since 489 A.D. But, surely people didn’t say, “I love you” on such a grand scale in those days. It was simpler.

According to the History Channel’s presentation of Valentine’s Day, Charles, Duke of Orleans, wrote a poem for his wife in 1415 while imprisoned in the Tower of London.

This is the oldest recognized “valentine.” Even King Henry V employed John Lydgate to write a note expressing his love and adoration for Catherine of Valois. It was simpler.

When the valentine phenomenon hit America in the early 1700s, the holiday was set in stone, and in the 1840s, cards became mass-produced. There was no saucy bra and panty set, crystal champagne or bling bling.Why are we stressing out and asking our friends, “What do you think I should get Max/Kelly for Valentine’s Day?”

After surveying several men, the answer to them was obvious – sex. For women, it came down to flowers and dinner. Why must we be showered with gifts to know we are special and loved?

Why can’t we be satisfied with a handwritten love letter and taking a nice walk on the lake?

I don’t know about you, but I have an endless supply of teddy bears clutching little hearts and don’t know what to do with them.

I also toss a good bit of the candy I receive, because I’d rather spare myself the calories.

But, my sweet notes from my parents, friends and boyfriend are stowed away for days when I feel blue, so I can re-read them and remind myself that I am loved.

Valentine’s Day is about being together without the static of work and school, as well as reminding the ones you love that you love them.

So, hug and kiss your boyfriend or girlfriend (or whatever you do in the bedroom should stay in the bedroom), and remind your parents that you miss them.

Send a card or write a letter, and bear in mind that you can’t keep that lively and somewhat cheesy barber shop quartet forever. But, words create memories and make a mark.

Flowers will die, candy will rot and dinner will disappear in our tummies, but the love and affection we receive from our significant others, family and friends remains eternal.

So remember that and don’t get lost in between the aisles of endless red junk.