Dallas preps for car show

After ten months of preparation, the New Car Dealers Association of Metropolitan Dallas (NCDA) is ready for the 2009 Dallas Auto Show Feb. 18 – 22 at the Dallas Convention Center.

“It’s pretty much a full year job,” NCDA communications director Marianne Jones said.

The auto show, which features more than 40 manufacturers, is sponsored by the association and will display 2009 models as well as 2010 models and concept cars.

While luxurious and powerful cars will still be present at the auto show this year, Jones said that many manufacturers are looking to more fuel-efficient options.

“A lot of manufacturers are touting their hybrid and economically friendly vehicles this year,” Jones said.

General Motors, one of the manufacturers at this year’s show, will display their first full-size hybrid pickup truck, the 2010 GMC Sierra. According to Craig Eppling, GM communications manager for the South Central region of the United States, GM will be bringing four hybrid vehicles as well as E85, or vehicles partially fueled by ethanol.

Eppling said GM is still going to display the classic cars and trucks for which the company is known.

“We bring them all to the show,” Eppling said, “a line up from small cars to big trucks.”

However, in an attempt to mesh cars with SUVs, the next 18 to 20 automobiles produced by GM will be crossover vehicles, Eppling said. And despite GM’s recent government bailout, the company still believes participating in car shows is an important way to get its product out in the public eye.

“Auto shows are the one time of the year that people focus on new cars and trucks,” Eppling said. “You don’t have to spend time going from dealership to dealership.”

According to Jones, Suzuki was the only company to drop out of the auto show this year.

“We’ve been very lucky to be able to continue to represent most manufacturers,” Jones said.

The NCDA is a trade association that represents the franchised new car dealerships in the Dallas Metropolitan area. The NCDA puts together various events for dealerships before the show opens on Feb. 18 for press day. Since a lot of manufacturers are introducing cars in the spring, it is good to have a car show around that time Jones said.

“It’s the best option for manufacturers to get their product in front of customers at one time,” Jones said. “And it’s a good opportunity for consumers to go and see what each manufacturer has to offer.”

One highly anticipated car at this year’s show is the 2010 Chevy Camaro.

“That’s an iconic heritage car that’s garnered a lot of attention,” Eppling said. “That’s the car everyone is waiting for.”

The show will also have a large number of automotive-related products and services on display, as well as other programs. Tickets for the auto show are $11 for adults, $5 for senior citizens, and children 12 years old and under get in free. The show is open from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Feb. 18 and 19, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Feb. 20, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Feb. 21 and 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Feb. 22.