Reality takes over

A casual evening of doing homework and relaxing after a long day of class, I catch myself turning on the television to enjoy some type of entertainment. With the remote in hand, I browse the channels and decide on watching one of the many reality TV shows.

This pandemic of reality broadcasting will soon take over the broadcasting entertainment industry.

“The Biggest Loser,” “Amazing Race,” “Fear Factor,” “Wife Swap,” Super Nanny,” “Survivor” and “The Apprentice” make up a large amount of shows now on the tube. These shows say they take average people and make them into stars. Now, who wouldn’t want instant fame?

These TV shows put people into situations or experiences they may have never entered. “Fear Factor” makes contestants eat cow liver or buffalo eyeballs or do outrageous stunts, and the last team standing wins a $50,000 prize. I know money is important to people, but winning it by doing the most ridiculous tasks is absurd.

Are these shows really reality? No, they are anything but reality. The events happening in the real world don’t happen like those on television. The producers and staff stage the many situations that air on these big name shows. If the networks followed regular people in the United States, it wouldn’t not be this extreme.

I understand some Americans are obsessed with their appearance and how they look. But, shows like “The Swan” and MTV’s “I Want a Famous Face” make Americans look bad to those outside the United States. These shows take anyone and attempt to make a person stunning and attractive. It shows our obsession with appearance.

I do agree some contestants may have had minor improvements after their surgeries. But, on “I Want a Famous Face” a guy in his 20s wanted the face of Brad Pitt. He thought if he had a famous actor’s face, the girls would want to date him. He later realized that appearance doesn’t matter as much as he thought.

Reality entertainment has reached beyond the broadcasting market. “American Idol” has spawned clothing, fragrances, DVDs, toys and even software. American culture seems as though it is revolving around this industry of reality entertainment.

Americans love the opportunity of trying to win money by luck instead of trying to work hard by using skills, effort or knowledge. But, we need to realize most Americans don’t make it on these show for their chance to win big.

Four out of five Americans think there are too many reality television shows on the air. When I flip through the channels, I pass at least two shows considered a reality show at any given time.

I believe we should return to the regular form of TV entertainment with professional actors and actresses. These shows are much more enjoyable and require a little more thought to develop.

Steven K. Chlapecka is a sophomore international studies major. He may be contacted at [email protected].