Adderall abuse

As the workload heats up, students are currently stressing over final exams and papers. For many students, this means pulling all-nighters. And coffee, Red Bull, and No-Doz are no longer the key ingredients to get through these long nights. Today, more and more students are taking the prescription drug Adderall, and some are doing so illegally.

Adderall, a mixture of amphetamine salts in a tablet, is prescribed to people (like me) diagnosed with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Common symptoms of ADHD include: inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsiveness. Nonetheless, Adderall enables us to maintain concentration, follow directions and complete tasks, and decreases our impulsive behaviors.

Many people are wondering why Adderall is popular among students not diagnosed with ADHD. Well, many students believe that Adderall enables them to concentrate longer and keeps them awake longer. Coffee, Red Bull, and No-Doz do keep people awake, but they do not help people concentrate. According to one student, who asked to remain anonymous, “Adderall is like a miracle drug.”

I cannot tell you how many times my peers have asked me if they could buy some of my Adderall. Let’s just say, I could have bought a couple pairs of Seven jeans by now. I always refuse. Why? I do not think that it is fair for people to take the prescription drug if they are not prescribed to it. Having ADHD is not something to be proud of. Generally, people with the disorder have to work harder to get to the same level as those not diagnosed with the disorder. Adderall is simply a medication that helps me and others diagnosed with ADHD get to that level.

Before I was diagnosed with ADHD, I worked hard to achieve good grades. No matter how hard I worked, though, I never seemed to get the results that I thought I deserved. My grade school teachers always thought I had other learning disabilities. But really, I just didn’t pay attention to them. In addition, I had difficulty finishing tasks. Finally, my high school tutor suggested I get tested for ADHD. I was tested and diagnosed with ADHD. My doctor did not understand how I got through school as successfully (Bs and Cs) as I did. If he only knew the hours I would put in on my work!

Since I have been prescribed to Adderall, my grades have increased dramatically and I am actually able to finish tasks without any distractions. Adderall enables me to be on the same playing field as those without ADHD.

I think students who take the prescription drug illegally can be compared to athletes who take steroids. They are cheating the system. It is not fair that they are succeeding thanks to Adderall. These people should be happy they are not affected by this disorder and should understand that people with ADHD have to work twice as hard – even with Adderall.

I bet many students do not realize the serious side affects of Adderall if not taken as prescribed. These side affects include: Cardiovascular complications, sleep deprivation and psychotic behavior.

Next time a student contemplates taking Adderall illegally, I hope he or she thinks about the millions of kids and adults affected with ADHD who have to take the prescription drug in order to be on the same level as the student without the disorder. Students should also keep in mind the health hazards and penalties of taking Adderall when it isn’t prescribed for them.

Molly Pruett is a senior journalism major. She may be contacted at [email protected].