Do you know the Muffin Men?

Move over Food Network, there’s a new posse in town and they work in SMU Dining Hall.

LaCracha Holley, Tim Whiteside and Maria Perez received bronze and silver medals in the annual Ben E. Keith Food Show in Houston held earlier last month.

The competition, which was open to the general public, allows contestants to show off their decorating talents on desserts consisting of wedding, novelty and celebration cakes. Other entries included cookies, chocolates, plated desserts and ice carvings.

“We are extremely proud of our bakery team,” Michael Marr, Director of Operations for SMU Dining Services, said. “The campus is lucky to have such great culinary talent serving them each day.”

Each contestant competed against 90 other competitors. Those numbers, combined with the tough judging, left Tim Whitehouse worried but not shaken.

“The judging was hard, there were only two gold medals given out,” Whitehouse said. “But I was confident I would at least place.”

Holley also had a sense of confidence during the competition, but worried after trying a new baking technique.

“I was having issues with my cakes at some point,” Holley said. “I was just hoping for the best.”

Bronze medal winner, Perez is the only one in the trio to not be formally trained.

“I just learned to decorate cakes over the years by watching and learning,” Perez said.

Both Whitehouse and Holley received training from El Centro and the Art Institute respectively. All three contestants have aspirations to one day own there own bakeshop.

“I bake cakes for friends,” Holley said, “but ultimately I want to go into business for myself.”

The silver and bronze medal winner will compete again April 14 at the Ben E. Keith Food Show in Dallas at Market Hall.