iPhone 4S, iOS 5 cause frenzy for Apple stores

Associated Press
People wait in line to buy the new iPhone 4S outside the Apple store, on New York’s Upper West Side.

People wait in line to buy the new iPhone 4S outside the Apple store, on New York’s Upper West Side. (Associated Press)

The age-old question of whether or not people define trends or trends define people may have been answered Thursday morning when Apple fanatics began camping out for the iPhone 4S release on Friday.

The new iPhone was even worth camping out the night before a big biology test, according to SMU junior Emily Reagan.

By 6 a.m. on Friday, there were about 100 people lined up outside the Apple store on the corner of McKinney and Knox. After speaking with the early birds, it was apparent the hype centered mostly on the deep voice integration system called Siri.

The Apple store manager on duty confirmed that the Knox Henderson store had received its complete shipment for the iPhone 4S, but the store was expecting more shipments to come in over the course of the day.

While the distribution of iPhones went smoothly on Friday, the store was packed on Saturday for a different problem.

Many Apple users were excited to upgrade their iPhones to the iOS 5 system that Apple had raved about at their conference held on Oct. 4.

The iOS 5 system shares many of the same features as the new iPhone 4S, but it does not have Siri. Users who had tried to upgrade their existing iPhones, which included iPhone 3G and iPhone 4, found themselves unable to do so.

Once the user had upgraded, the system told the user that the SIM card in use was not compatible with the device and directed the user to seek further information by visiting their mobile carrier or the Apple store.

After personally experiencing the problem, I visited the AT&T store on Greenville Avenue.

The technician there swapped out my SIM card, twice, and wi

th no luck directed me to visit the Apple store because it appeared that there was a glitch in Apple’s system. Knowing that

Apple would be swamped on Friday, I made my appointment for Saturday.

When I arrived, the “genius” technician who was helping me told me I needed a new iPhone. He swapped out my physical iPhone and then tried to install the iOS 5 system, but the same message appeared that the SIM card was not compatible with the phone.

Luckily, there were AT&T technicians on site, who worked on my phone for an hour.

They said they had many users experience this same issue, and the only option was to wait as Apple had a delay in their system and was lagging in updating the individual phones.

The technicians from AT&T advise anyone who wishes to upgrade their phone to the iOS 5 system to delay doing so for at least a week, because Apple is receiving a high amount of traffic.

To avoid being without a device, this may be advice worth heeding.