Rapunzel lets down 3-D hair

A lost princess, a handsome thief, a comedic chameleon and 70 feet of magical golden hair mark Disney’s 50th full-length animated feature.

“Tangled” is an inventive tale loosely based on the Brothers Grimm’s “Rapunzel,” although the only part they really take from the original story is the reason for Rapunzel’s magical hair and the line, “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your golden hair.”

The film stars Mandy Moore as Rapunzel and Zachary Levi, best known for his role in the television series “Chuck,” plays Flynn Rider, the handsome thief and male lead.

Other notable cast members include two-time Tony winner Donna Murphy and Brad Garrett from “Everybody Loves Raymond.”

After being stolen from her royal parents as an infant, Rapunzel grows up in a tower with a woman who uses Rapunzel’s magical hair to keep herself young.

Fate strikes, and Rapunzel meets someone from the outside world for the first time just days before her 18th birthday when Rider, a thief, breaks into her tower to hide.

The film really begins when focusing on Rapunzel’s first time out in the real world.

“Tangled” is an incredible visually appealing animated film.

The feature can be viewed in Disney 3D but avoids the traditional style of things seemingly flying off the screen and into the audience,

“Tangled” uses 3D animation to make the characters stand out from the background.

Rapunzel’s hair was custom animated to make it look as realistic as possible.

Glen Keane, one of Disney’s most well known animators, worked extensively on Rapunzel’s hair animation, using a combination of bone systems and dynamics and hand animation.

The soundtrack features new songs and an original score by the eight-time Oscar winner Alan Menken and lyrics were crafted by Tony and Grammy nominee Glenn Slater.

The songs featured in “Tangled” will bring you back to the classic Disney model, reminiscent of songs in “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Little Mermaid,” two of Menken’s other works.

Moore and Levi’s voices shine on the soundtrack.

Perfect for any fans of classic Disney animated films; “Tangled” is sure to capture the hearts of the entire audience.