New ceramics exhibit opens at Pollock Gallery

SMUs Blake Warren goes horizontal into the endzone for a touchdown to lock-up SMUs victory over Tulsa on Saturday. The win made the Mustangs bowl eligible, but SMU needs a win over Rice this Saturday to ensure a bowl berth.
SMU’s Blake Warren goes horizontal into the endzone for a touchdown to lock-up SMU’s victory over Tulsa on Saturday. The win made the Mustangs bowl eligible, but SMU needs a win over Rice this Saturday to ensure a bowl berth.

Late Winter Urn by Paul McCoy at the 2013 Pollock museum exhibit. (Bob Smith)

SMU is proud to exhibit their new show, From Yellow Clay to Black Gumbo: Earth Movers in the Lone Star State at the Pollock Galleries.

This display will open just in time for the new semester on Jan. 22 and will run through Feb. 16.

Featured in the gallery will be ceramic teachers pieces from nearby Texas universities and colleges.

The focus of these artists’ works are the table, architecture and the figure; Merrie Wright, Patrick Veerkamp, Annie Strader, Colby Parsons, Brian Molanphy, Paul A. McCoy, Virginia Marsh, Louis Katz, Steve Hilton, Dan Hammett, Juan Granados, Ovidio Giberga, Barbara Frey, Piero Fenci, Nick J. de Vries, Angela Carbone, Vincent Burke and David Bogus are the artists representing 16 schools.

Assistant Professor of Ceramics at SMU, Brian Molanphy, is the master behind the set up of the display.

He commented recently on the exposition, “Entering my fourth semester teaching ceramics at SMU, I’m meeting several colleagues around the state and I’m interacting with them in a meaningful way, thanks to this exhibition.”

The Pollock Gallery is a very refined venue featuring a show catalogue.

Next, the exhibit will be in Houston for the NCECA conference, an important annual event for American ceramics, held in a different city in March yearly.

This is the first year that Molanphy has lived in the state that is hosting the conference.

“I’m really pleased that, through this exhibition, the participants can represent our part of Texas university ceramics education to the thousands of artists, teachers, and collectors from around the country (and increasingly, from around the world) who will gather in Houston two months from now.”

Expect to see a variety of pieces with Texas flare, and be sure to stop by Hughes-Trigg Student Center Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., or Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.

The catalogues mentioned before will be available at the gallery.

The Pollock Galleries are free and available to the public, and it is an event you will not want to miss.