‘Three Sisters’ opened last night

Anton Chekhov, thought to be the most important dramatist that Russia has produced thus far, wrote numerous plays, in which he combined a naturalistic method with a philosophic mind and a humanitarian gentleness of temper.

Southern Methodist University’s Main Stage Series will perform Chekhov’s own “Three Sisters” for the next two weekends.

“Three Sisters,” referred to by Chekhov simply as a “drama,” rather than further classified as a tragedy or comedy, tells the story of three sisters, Olga, Masha and Irina Prozorov, and their yearnings for a world beyond their small, provincial Russian town.

After 11 happy years in Moscow, the sisters are forced to leave, as their father is transferred, and move to a tiny Russian town where their lives become forlorn and monotonous.

The sisters have high hopes of marrying military suitors and again escaping their roots in the city of Moscow.

Yet, their dreams are slightly diminished as time and various conflicts consume them.

First performed in 1901, Chekhov elaborately parallels the hunt for meaning his three distinctive characters experience with that of present-day audience members.

“Three Sisters” will be performed this weekend from Nov. 10-13 and next weekend from Nov. 17-20, showing at 8 p.m. on Thursday through Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday.

The performance will take place in Greer Garson Theater, located in the Owen Fine Arts Building.

Tickets can be purchased for $6-$12 at the ticket office, open Monday through Friday from 12 p.m.—5 p.m. The ticket office is also located in the Owen Fine Arts Building.