Food for Fines program begins at libraries

The SMU Libraries kicked off their annual Food for Fines drive yesterday and collection will continue through Dec. 12.

The program was created in 2000 as a way for students to reduce or eliminate fines from their library record.

“People really enjoyed it, so we’ve continued doing the program ever since then,” said Gillian McCombs of the Central University Libraries.

Students can participate by donating canned goods or boxed food mixes and dropping them off at the designated stations inside the Fondren Library Center, Hamon Arts Library, the ISEM Reading Room, and the Norwick Center for Media and Instructional Technology.

Each item will give students a $2 credit toward the student’s library account.

“It’s not our aim to penalize students with the fines – and we think this is a helpful way to give back,” McCombs said.All donations are taken to the North Texas Food Bank where area individuals and families can receive assistance year round.

“Because of Hurricane Katrina, donation levels are down, so it’s a great way to help out local families at the food bank,” McCombs said.

All members of the SMU community are invited to join in the food drive, even if they do not have any fines at the library.

“Just bring a can – everyone can spare something to help out,” McCombs said.

Donations peaked in 2003 with 3,800 items donated, but dropped last year to 1,600. McCombs is hoping the libraries can do better this year.

“We’ve already had someone who went to Sam’s and bought an entire case worth of canned goods, and I’ve gotten good responses from the e-mail we sent out last week,” she said.

McCombs said that SMU prides itself on giving back and this program is a good way of showing that pride.

“This is for the people who don’t have anything to have something this holiday,” she said.