Former Beatles bassist still rockin’ and rollin’ at 63

A Paul McCartney concert cannot be compared to any other concert. Any other show would be found lacking. In this vein, Sir Paul’s set at the American Airlines Center on Sunday night, while not his absolute best, was a fantastically energetic night of rock and roll performed by one of the most talented entertainers to grace the planet.

The best part about the show was the wide range of songs pulled from the 63-year-old ex-Beatle’s repertoire for the set. It didn’t matter if it sounded familiar or not. McCartney is simply a joy and wonder to watch.

The band even managed to make themselves stand out, as well, particularly the amiable drummer, Abe Laboriel Jr. His background antics, in addition to the numerous tour anecdotes told by McCartney and the rest of the band, provided a fun and easygoing atmosphere.

McCartney opened the show with a rousing rendition of “Magical Mystery Tour,” closely followed by “Jet” and “Drive My Car.” Throughout the show, he made the necessary stops, such as “Maybe I’m Amazed,” “Band on the Run,” “Hey Jude,” and “Live and Let Die,” which featured some well timed pyrotechnics. But, unlike at other concerts, even the numbers from McCartney’s newest album, “Chaos and Creation in the Backyard,” kept the audience captivated. Especially of note is “Jenny Wren,” an achingly beautiful song that won’t fail to remind Beatles’ fans of the similar sounding “Blackbird.” He concluded the show with the obligatory two encores, featuring “Yesterday,” “Get Back,” “Helter Skelter,” “Please Please Me,” “Let It Be” and a blend of “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and “The End.”

For the most part, the show lacked the gimmicks and light shows that so many artists need to entertain nowadays. McCartney was certainly more than enough for the audience. The charismatic Brit simply utilized a light screen behind the stage that would illuminate, like a multi-colored Rubik’s Cube, and occasionally flash video images, such as the footage from the space station played during “Good Day Sunshine.” Continuing with the “less is more” motif, McCartney shined during his acoustic numbers, such as “Eleanor Rigby,” playing a richly-toned acoustic guitar.

What more could be said about everyone’s favorite left-handed bassist? McCartney, even at age 63, will forever be “The Cute Beatle.” McCartney showed a warmth and energy onstage befitting that of a 16-year-old in a garage band. The set was incredible, the effects were song-appropriate and the band was extremely versatile and talented. All in all, McCartney’s concert was absolutely the must-see concert event of the year.