Finding the true meaning of happiness

It was the famous words sung by pop artist Bobby McFerrin, “don’t worry, be happy,” that set the feeling at this month’s Brown Bag presentation, “The Science of Happiness.”

The SMU counseling and psychiatric specialist, Jennifer Hughes, hosted the presentation on April 30 at The Memorial Health Center. The forum posed a thought-provoking question: “What is happiness?”

“Happiness is knowing your strengths,” said Hughes. “It is valuing who and what you are.”

The demonstration delved into the mechanism behind self-motivation, success and social networking. Referencing a TIME magazine article in January 2005, Hughes identified the aspects that would progress a positive mind and attitude. The hour-long presentation was a large combination of both faculty and students – each had a specific reason of attendance.

“I was having a rough semester,” said SMU junior Tiney Ricciardi. “I really was looking for a way to become more happy in my life socially and spiritually.”

The seminar also prepared SMU leadership to assist others who may be battling end-of-year stress and depression.

“Sometimes students walk in with all types of personal issues,” Assistant Dean of Student Affairs of SMU Law School Martin Camp said. “These methods can not only help me deal with my life, but I can pass those positives messages onto my students”

According to a general social survey done in 2006, less than 15 percent of Americans were completely happy with their current life situation. That, coupled with the multi-billion dollar industry of anti-depression medications, made the forum relevant.

“You really need support of great friends to help make life more fun and funny,” said sociology minor Cara Shapiro. “It’s all about random moments of laughter.”

Hughes also offered a multitude of online resources that can assist individuals in reaching their inner contentment. Web sites such as happier.com and ppc.sas.upenn.edu were cited with offering advice on positive thinking.

“You need to be intentional about doing things that make you happy,” said attorney and Perkins student Jeanne Crandall. “Do things that make you happy and give meaning to life.”

With the financial woes of the economy, it is hard for some to find that happiness that people seek.

“Find your own support system,” said Hughes. “Through your personal strengths and the caring of others, happiness won’t be far away.”