‘Wolverine’ looks to slash up box office this weekend

“X-Men Origins: Wolverine” – The fourth installment in Marvel’s “X-Men” series is a prequel, detailing the story of Wolverine (Hugh Jackman). The film explores the mutant’s past and his involvement in Weapon X, the program that gave him his signature adamantium skeleton.

Wolverine runs into various mutants along the way, including Gambit, Deadpool and Emma Frost, and battles his greatest nemesis Sabertooth (Lieb Schreiber).

“X-Men Origins: Wolverine” also stars Taylor Kitsch, Ryan Reynolds, Will.i.am and Danny Huston. The film is rated PG-13 for intense sequences of action and violence, and some partial nudity. “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” is an hour and 47 minutes long.

“Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” – In “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past,” Matthew McConaughey plays celebrity photographer and playboy Connor Mead. He is so popular with the ladies in fact, that he is forced to break up with three of them at the same time via conference call. An obvious advocate of single life,

Connor nearly causes havoc the night before his brother Paul’s (Breckin Meyer) wedding by attempting to save him from marriage. As he approaches success, Connor is visited by ghosts of former girlfriends, who try to figure out when and why he became such an insensitive womanizer.

He also catches a glimpse of his lonely future as a bachelor. Is there time for Connor to change and settle down before it is too late? The movie, which is one hour and 40 minutes long, also stars Michael Douglas, Jennifer Garner and Lacey Chabert. “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” is rated PG-13 for sexual content, foul language and drug reference.

“Battle for Terra” – After earth is destroyed, the human race is struggling to find a new planet to call home. Once they do, they decide to make war on the peaceful beings that live there and take the new planet for their own. “Battle for Terra” stars Justin Long, Evan Rachel Wood, Brian Cox, James Garner, Chris Evans, Danny Glover, Luke Wilson, Dennis Quaid and Ron Perlman. The film is rated PG for sequences of sci-fi action, violence and some thematic elements, and is one hour and 25 minutes long.

ALSO IN THEATERS

“The Soloist” – Robert Downey Jr. stars as Steve Lopez, a columnist for a Los Angeles newspaper. As he’s searching for a new column idea, he comes across Anthony Ayers (Jamie Foxx), an ex-Julliard attendee and classical music prodigy. Ayers, who is homeless, plays his broken violin on the streets of Los Angeles.

Lopez and Ayers form a strange friendship as the journalist continues his columns on the musician with the hope of giving Ayers a new life. “The Soloist” also stars Katherine Keener, Nelsan Ellis and Michael Bunin. The film is rated PG-13 for thematic elements, some drug use and language, and is an hour and 57 minutes long.

“The Informers” – An adaptation of a Bret Eason Ellis novel (“American Psycho,” The Rules of Attraction”), “The Informers” is set in the 1980s and follows the story of numerous characters living on the top and bottom of the Los Angeles cultural spectrum.

Characters include a rock star, a newscaster and an ex-con among others. The characters’ lives, although completely different, come together in a very strange manner. The film stars Billy Bob Thornton, Kim Basinger, Wyonna Ryder, Mickey Rourke and Jon Foster. “The Informers” is rated R for strong sexual content, nudity, drug use, pervasive language and some disturbing images, and is one hour and 38 minutes long.

“Fighting” – A scam artist sees hidden street fighting potential in a young boy named Shawn and takes him in. Shawn is down on his luck selling stolen goods, hardly scraping by, but his luck changes after he’s thrust into a ring of professional fighters.

However, after obtaining a great deal of fame in the underground fighting world, Shawn wants out, and begins a tough, upward battle.

“Fighting” stars Channing Tatum, Terrence Howard, Zulay Henao and Michael Rivea. The film is rated PG-13 for intense fight sequences, some sexuality and brief strong language, and is an hour and 45 minutes long.

“Obsessed” – Beyonce Knowles and Idris Elba play husband and wife Sharon and Derek Charles. Although the two seem to have a perfect marriage their balance is thrown off when Lisa (Ali Larter), a temp at Derek’s office begins stalking him. The film is 105 minutes long and rated PG-13 for sexual content, violence and thematic content.

“State of Play” – A U.S. Congressman is on his way to become a presidential candidate, but his assistant (and also mistress) is murdered. A reporter, who is old friends with the congressman, is assigned to investigate the murder.

However, he ends up in a giant cover-up and finds out that in the world of politics no life is safe.

“State of Play” stars Russell Crowe, Ben Affleck, Rachel McAdams, Helen Mirren and Robin Wright-Penn. The film is rated PG-13 for some violence, language and drug content, and is one hour and 58 minutes long.

“Crank: High Voltage” – After being kidnapped by the Chinese mob, hitman Chev Chelios (Jason Statham) wakes up to find his heart replaced with a battery. To stay alive, Chelios’ new heart requires a jolt of electricity regularly. After he escapes, the hitman is on the run from various baddies including Mexican gang boss, El Huron, and head of the Chinese Triads, Poon Dong. Chelios must do what it takes to get his real heart back at the cost of the lives of those who took it from him. Expect a ton of explosions and fighting. “Crank: High Voltage” also stars Amy Smart, Clifton Collins Jr., Efren Ramirez and Bai Ling, and is rated R for strong, bloody violence, crude and graphic sexual content, nudity and pervasive language.

“Fast and Furious” – The original cast returns in this fourth installment of “The Fast and the Furious.” Feuding ex-con Dom Toretto (Vin Diesel) and agent Brian O’Conner (Paul Walker) return to L.A. Also starring Michelle Rodriguez, the film is an hour and 39 minutes long. It is rated PG-13 for intense action and violence, sexual content, language and drug references