Mustangs back on center stage

Quarterback Braden Smith passes to wide receiver Josh Bryant Wednesday morning during practice at Ford Stadium.
Michael Danser

Quarterback Braden Smith passes to wide receiver Josh Bryant Wednesday morning during practice at Ford Stadium. (Michael Danser)

The Mustangs will showcase their spring talent in the Red & Blue Scrimmage at 1 p.m. Saturday inside Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

The scrimmage consists of approximately 40 plays. The key player to watch is sophomore quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell. Mitchell threw for 2,865 yards last season and scored 24 touchdowns.

Senior wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders is also looking to show his offensive and defensive abilities Saturday.

“This whole spring the offense and defense took huge strides and we’re all ready to showcase that,” said Sanders. “I think this game is more about having fun than anything, but we all can’t wait to get and out play each other.”

In 2008, Sanders set an SMU season record with six 100-yard games. He also became the first player in SMU history to record three 600-yard receiving seasons.

Sanders, who was out some of last year for breaking team rules, says he has become more of a leader on and off the field this spring.

“I just go out there and perform,” said Sanders. “This is the last spring for some of us, so we’re really pumped.”

The Mustangs will be missing wide receiver Justin Willis on the field Saturday. Willis was hurt in the spring season, but is expected to return soon.

Freshman defensive end Margus Hunt will play in his first football scrimmage Saturday. Hunt competed in the spring season running plays on defense.

“I’m really glad he is on my team,” said Sanders when asked about Hunt. “I’m excited to see some big hits out there.”

Entrance to the scrimmage is free to students, alumni, and community Mustang fans.