Liberally biased news

My un-biased news media, namely, the op-ed section of The Daily Campus, tells me that Republicans control Congress and the White House, and that their advantage has been growing. And, that liberals say nothing but a bunch of lies and B.S. and only try to portray conservatives as racists and sexists (because, you know, saying that crime would decrease if we aborted all the black babies in this country and that sexism is dead and women aren’t paid 79 cents to every dollar a man makes is entirely indicative of a liberal media bias), and that everything liberals say can be proved wrong by a little common sense. Well, I’ve got some (liberally biased) news for you.

Hmm, Republican controls Congress and the White House and their advantage is growing. I’m assuming this means that Bush’s approval ratings have been climbing and are so high off the charts that he’s the most popular president ever with a disapproval rating of only 58 percent for the past month if you subscribe to CNN and 51 percent if you subscribe to Fox, with everything else somewhere in between.

House Majority Leader Tom Delay had to step down from his post because he’s indicted in money laundering charges. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is being investigated for insider trading. I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby announced that VP Dick Cheney leaked former CIA Agent Valerie Plame’s name to him. Political Strategist and Deputy Chief of Staff to the President (and 2003’s Texan of the Year according to The Dallas Morning News – ugh, they’re so liberally biased) Karl Rove has said that Libby leaked the information to him, and the word is not out yet whether President Bush was involved in the leak or if Cheney lied about his role in earlier testimonies, although the chances are pretty good. Indictments are expected to be handed out later this week.

Wait, I thought we were talking about a Republican advantage.

If saying Bill O’Reilly is against immigrants is liberal media bias and lies, I’d like to point you out to his past statements. He’s quoted from Bill Moyers’ PBS show using racial slurs against Mexicans. Now, common sense would tell me that anyone who uses racial slurs is probably a racist.

Republicans might dominate Congress and the White House for now, but Congress is going to look a lot different in January 2007. And, the White House will follow suit, as long as the Bush Administration keeps screwing up like it’s done practically constantly since winning re-election. Scandal after scandal is hitting the Grand Ol’ Party, and I think the American public is smart enough to figure out which is worse: lying about a relationship had in the Oval Office or lying about creating a false reason to go to war (I haven’t seen any WMDs in Iraq, have you? And the only reason al-Qaida is there is because they came in from Syria and Iran, since we were too busy securing the oil fields to secure the borders), leaks of classified information that put someone’s life in danger, a huge natural disaster recovery blunder, blatant cronyism (it’s one thing if your cronies have the experience necessary for the job, it’s another if they’ve just been showing Arabian horses), and the majority leaders of both houses and the offices of the vice president and president all being investigated.

Whether the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee is Hilary Clinton or not, I don’t think whoever it is will have a very hard time making themselves and the party look good in comparison, at the least.

Katy Rowe is a senior anthropology and english major. She may be contacted at [email protected].