Travel tips, advice to save money during summer break

HELENA BOLOGNA/The Daily Campus

(HELENA BOLOGNA/The Daily Campus)

Summer vacation is quickly approaching and many students are naturally travelling to various locales. Whether it’s interning in London, taking a drawing class in Italy or just backpacking through Europe, I have a few tips to use while travelling.

First off, make sure you have quality luggage with sufficient space for all your essentials.

Less is more when travelling. Leave room for souvenirs and other items you think you may acquire along the journey.

Don’t cram everything into one huge suitcase. Allocate your belongings between a large suitcase and a versatile carry-on. This helps avoid outrageous airline baggage fees.

You may find that there are many different transportation options—buses, trains, taxis, bicycles, walking, etc. Of course, the cheapest way to get around is your own two legs.

You’ll get to know the city by walking the streets. Be sure to budget appropriately before you leave town. All the rates are published online so you won’t have any surprises.

If you plan on travelling around Europe, check baggage regulations for specific airlines you may be using for weekend trips. Don’t be afraid to plan some of your weekend excursions now while travel fares are cheaper.

Once you arrive and settle in, take note of nearby ATMs. Bank of America is a partner with Barclays and other international banks, which can help to avoid pesky ATM withdrawal fees. You’ll need cash because many small shops don’t accept credit cards.

Also, credit card identity theft is common so carrying cash is the safest bet while travelling abroad.

When shopping around town, always ask for student discounts and be prepared to show some sort of identification to prove it. Leave valuables at home that make you a target for theft.

Make a point to befriend locals. They know the best places to buy groceries and toiletries. They’ll tell you about the best clubs and what parts of town to avoid. To get the most authentic travelling experience, do not rely on your American friends.

Be smart when spending abroad, but remember that you only live once. Don’t neglect yourself experiences you’ll regret later in life.