Health Center to host Brown Bag program

The Memorial Health Center will host a Brown Bag luncheon today that will address the emotional issues frequently associated with the end of a relationship.

According to practicum student Lauren Woolley, the program, entitled “I’m Still Standing,” will cover the best ways to deal with the emotional roller coaster that can often follow a break-up.

“Part of being human is experiencing loss,” she said. “We’re hoping students will walk away with a better understanding of communicating their reactions and feelings.”

Woolley said the brown bag discussion will highlight the stages of recovering from such a loss while offering adaptive ways of healing.

“We want to help students feel better and give them a sense of hope,” she said.

According to Dr. Karen Settle, director of counseling and testing, relationship issues are second only to depression as the most common diagnoses at the Health Center.

“We really want to give people education on how to heal and have support for themselves,” she said.

Settle compared the recovery process of a relationship loss to that of any physical ailment, explaining that students should learn “how to have more emotional stamina after a breakup.”

Today’s Brown Bag luncheon, which is open to students, faculty and staff, is part of the Health Center’s mission to better educate people on common mental health problems.

“We want to be proactive,” said Settle, “and give students and staff the skills necessary when dealing with these issues.”

Woolley hopes this afternoon’s luncheon will provide “a format in which members of the SMU community feel comfortable in discussing and sharing their thoughts – and hear what others have to say.”

“I’m Still Standing” will be held today from noon to 1 p.m. in Room 205 of the Memorial Health Center.