A&E editor suggests top five places to cool off in the Metroplex

With almost 40 straight days of 100-degree weather, SMU students are looking for cool, affordable ways to spend the end of their summer vacations. Housing everything from great exhibits to stellar shows, the DFW Metroplex is the perfect place to cool down.

KIMBALL ART MUSEUM

Nestled in Fort Worth’s impressive Art District, the Kimball Art Museum’s premiere exhibit this summer comes from none other than Picasso himself.

In the exhibit titled “Picasso and Braque: The Cubist Experiment,” the Kimball features a multitude of paintings from the two artists. If cubism isn’t your preferred style, the Kimball plays hosts to an exciting permanent collection of famous artwork along smaller exhibits like “Titan’s La Bella Woman in a Blue Dress.”

DALLAS MUSEUM OF ART

No stranger to fun summers, the Dallas Museum of Art has an array of activities and attractions for visitors of any age. Hosting its traditional “Late Night,” the DMA stays open extra hours as it hosts a different theme night each week.

On Friday, the museum will be having a “Clue-inspired,” night that will encourage guests to learn more about its exhibits, as well as solve mysteries around the museum.

STUDIO MOVIE GRILL

This movie theater is nothing but a traditional oasis to beat the summer heat.

In fact, much of the movie theater’s earlier success was due to the fact that the theater was one of the only air-conditioned buildings in town.

Today, Studio Movie Grill offers patrons the chance to see a great movie as well as have a good meal. With big leather seats and a diverse menu, SMG is the perfect way to spend a lazy summer night.

DALLAS WORLD AQUARIUM

What better place to stay cool than in a building full of water?

What started as an old warehouse in downtown Dallas has now turned into one of the country’s best aquariums. The

Dallas World Aquarium features an exotic collection of marine and mammal life that are all housed indoors. While the admission can be somewhat pricey, in this heat, it’s worth every penny.

NORTH PARK CENTRE

This massive mall boasts every store you could ever want, and the best part is that it is all indoors.

Packed with stores that cater to both seekers of luxury and seekers of cheap finds, this shopping mall is a shopping lover’s paradise.

If shopping isn’t your thing and you are looking for some tasty finds instead, this place is still for you. With a full food court and over a dozen sit-down restaurants, North Park Centre has something for everyone.