Career Center to offer resume help workshop

To help prepare students for the upcoming Career and Internship Fair, the Hegi Family Career Development Center is hosting a Career and Internship Fair Prep Day Sept. 3, starting at 1 p.m.The day’s events will include a Resumania, a resume workshop open to all students, followed by a job prep search for international students, tips on how to succeed at the upcoming job fair, an image consulting workshop and a speed networking activity designed to polish students’ skills for when they begin meeting with future employers. “This is a great opportunity for students to interact with professional volunteers to have their resumes critiqued, practice their networking and interview skills and learn how to make a good first impression,” Marva McGrew, the associate director of the career center said.At the resume workshop, students can meet one-on-one with employers from various industries for 15 minutes to get feedback on their resumes. Employers will be able to instruct students on how to better tailor their resumes to cater to different companies and industries, and how to effectively seek out an internship or job.”My resume was average prior to visiting the Career Center, but since my visit I have been given numerous compliments,” said TJ Faust, a senior journalism major.McGrew says students attending Resumania should bring an updated copy of their resume, including present and past jobs or internships. McGrew also said that while the workshop is not a recruiting event, it is never too early to start networking with people from industries students wish to break into.Also starting at 1 p.m. is a job search prep geared specifically towards international students. International students from all classifications are welcome to attend the event. Workshops will be set up to help students navigate through the job search process for both on and off-campus positions.Later in the day, a lecture on how to leave a positive impression on employers will be available to all students looking to land an interview at the job fair on Sept.16. An image-consulting lecture on how to dress and physically prepare for interviews will follow.”The Career Fair Prep Day is one of the coolest things put on by the career center because it lets you network with employers in a much more relaxed setting,” said James Lucente, a student worker at the career center. “You also get amazing feedback that you would not get in an interview, and since many of the employers at prep day come to actual career fair, you get a big leg up on the rest of the students competing for the same position.””Over the past three years this event has been very successful for students and the professional volunteers,” McGrew said. “Not only will this event prepare students for the Career and Internship Fair, it will help them with their overall job search and professional development.”The event will wrap up with a speed-networking workshop to give students a chance to practice their networking skills with professional volunteers from varying industries. Students are asked to R.S.V.P. to the speed networking activity, as a reception will follow and space is limited.For more information, and to reserve a spot at the Speed Networking event, visit www.smu.edu/career.