SMU volleyball drops both games in Houston

By Taylor Johnson, The Rice Thresher

SMU volleyball drops both games in Houston (By Taylor Johnson, The Rice Thresher)

The SMU volleyball team traveled to Houston, where it fell to both the Houston Cougars and the Rice Owls, this weekend.

The Mustangs first lost 3-0 (30-27, 30-20, 31-29) on Friday to Houston at Hofheinz Pavilion.

Freshman middle blocker Natalie Peters led the team with 16 kills and three blocks, while sophomore outside hitter Rachel Giubilato contributed nine kills and 22 digs.

Freshman setter Stefanie Kons led the team in assists with 22, while sophomore setter Madison Hill had 16.

Sophomore outside hitter Caitlin Rainbird added eight kills and nine digs, and senior middle blocker Kelly Larkan had six kills, seven digs and two service aces. Junior libero Jennette Evanco tallied 19 digs in the Mustang loss.

The team lost again 3-2 (30-27, 30-26, 27-30, 28-30, 15-10) in a hard-fought battle against Rice at Autry Court in Houston.

Peters had another solid performance for the Mustangs (6-11), earning her second career double-double with 12 kills and 15 total blocks, setting a school record.

The team set another record with 19 blocks in the match, seven of which were record-setting solo blocks for Peters.

Giubilato gave 16 kills and 26 digs, while Kons recorded the third double-double with 49 assists and 19 digs.

Kons also tallied five blocks and two service aces.

Rainbird earned the most kills for the Mustangs for the night with 20, while also recording eight digs and two blocks.

Larkan gave the team eight kills, nine digs and four blocks, while Evanco contributed 16 digs.

Freshman Jenny Reyes, in her first match of the C-USA season, had 14 digs.

Peters said that while the team has been successful in working together and staying positive throughout its matches, the Mustangs still need to work on receiving serves.

“We need to learn to side out faster to eliminate error,” Peters said.

Mustang volleyball attacks the court again Friday, when it faces Tulane at 7 p.m. in Moody Coliseum.