Wrap up the week with art, music, theater and fun

Theater Nohgaku in Dallas

Richard Emmert, John Oglevee and Hideta Kitazawa will demonstrate and teach Japanese noh theater including noh dance, music, mask-making and more. The three-week session is presented by SMU, the Japan-America Society of DFW, and the Crow Collection of Asian Art. The remaining event this week is a Japanese Mask-making discussion and demonstration at the Crow Collection of Asian Art in downtown Dallas. The event takes place on March 26 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. For more information call 214-768-1951.

Meadows Theatre

“New Visions, New Voices”

SMU’s Division of Theatre will present “New Visions, New Voices” March 25 to 29. The series contains four, fully produced plays and two stage readings written and directed by SMU theatre seniors. This is the 15th year that the Division of Theatre has put on its annual spring play writing festival. The plays include comedic and dramatic stories about five warriors from five different time periods, an unemployed roadie dealing with life after death, a monster trying to escape a tragic fate, and the possible costs of professional success. The plays will be presented in the Margo Jones Theatre in the Owen Fine Arts Center. Tickets are $13 for adults, $10 for seniors and $7 for SMU students, faculty and staff. For more information, please call the Meadows Ticket Office at 214-768-2787.

The remainder of the schedule for the plays is as follows:

“The Constellations Don’t Have Faces”: Thursday, March 26 at 8 p.m. and Saturday, March 28 at 8 p.m.

“Where Pride Rides”: Friday, March 27 at 8 p.m. and Sunday, March 29 at 8 p.m.

Brown Bag “Cookie Concert”

What is better than free cookies? What about when there is a free concert to enjoy while you snack? Head to the Taubman Atrium at noon Friday, March 27 to catch the chamber students perform classical selections. Musical features include cello, voice, a piano trio, a string quartet and a brass quintet.

Friday Gallery Talk

Dr. Ann Bromberg, the Cecil and Ida Green curator of Ancient and Asian Art at the Dallas Museum of Art, will present a gallery talk, “Exploring Etruscan Art” at 12:15 p.m. on Friday March, 27. The session will be in the Jack and Nancy Hamon Galleries in Meadows Museum and is free with admission to the museum.

Visiting Artist Lecture Series

Writer, film and video maker Gregg Bordowitz will give a free lecture on March 26 at 6:30 p.m. at the Bob Smith Auditorium in Meadows Museum. Bordowitz’s work has been shown in festivals, museums, movie theaters, and publications including The Village Voice, Frieze, Artforum, American Imago, Art Journal, Documents and October. For more information call 214-768-2489.

Meadows Family Day

“Who Were the Etruscans?”

In conjunction with the current Etruscan art exhibit, Meadows Museum presents Family Day on March 28 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. inside the museum. The celebration features traditional Italian dances by I Colori Italiani and I Piccolo Colori, two groups from the Italian Club of Dallas. Tom McDermott, award-winning storyteller, singer and musician will perform at noon and again at 1 p.m.

Inside the museum’s art studio, children can create Etruscan-inspired vases, bracelets, head ornaments or helmets. Refreshments will also be served in the Jones Great Hall. For more information call 214-768-4677.

— Rachael Morgan also contributed to this report