“Jail-N-Bail” to raise funds, awareness

While the beverages and burgers will be free at this weekend’s tailgating festivities, some people’s wallets and purses will be lighter by afternoon’s end.

The Mustang Marathon Steering Committee will host a “Jail-N-Bail” amid Saturday’s tailgating activities on Bishop Boulevard. Before the team tries for its second win in a row facing East Carolina, pre-selected students will spend the afternoon behind bars while waiting for a bail to be posted.

The money collected will benefit Mustang Marathon 2006 (Feb 24-25). The annual 24-hour dance, perennially recognized as the largest philanthropy event on campus, puts all donations received toward pediatric HIV/AIDS research.

“This will be our first big kickoff,” said public relations chair Lily Ingram. “We want to promote what Mustang Marathon is all about.”

Ingram said influential student leaders from across campus have agreed to spend part of the day jailed in a temporary holding cell for the cause. Participants will mingle with visitors through the bars of the open-aired cell while collecting donations for the $350 bail.

In addition, anyone can donate $5 to have any person they choose temporarily jailed.

“We want to let everybody know about Mustang Marathon and raise awareness about our cause,” Ingram said.

According to Tom Greene, one of two Mustang Marathon co-chairs, the Steering Committee’s goal is to raise $100,000 and have 150 dancers.

For more information on the event, visit www.mustangmarathon.com.