Not your typical exam

Ed Board studies up on Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and Ed Board thinks you should be aware. Guys, this message is not just for the ladies, but for you, too. Here are a few stats to back Ed Board’s claim.

An estimated 13.2 percent of women born today will be diagnosed with breast cancer at some time in their lives. While a common misconception may be that only older women are at risk, this is not true. Anyone, of any age or gender, can get breast cancer. While the chances of being diagnosed with the disease are much higher for older women, one out of 2,212 women under 30 will be diagnosed, as well. In addition to the women diagnosed, it is estimated that1,690 cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in men in 2005. Ed Board finds this to be a scary statistic, but takes heart in the fact that 96 percent of those who detect and treat their breast cancer early are cancer-free after five years.

The third Friday in October each year is National Mammography Day. Ed Board encourages men and women to perform self-examinations periodically starting at around age 20, especially if the disease runs in the family. Men and women can perform this procedure individually in places such as the shower. Or, to add a little spice to the examination, ask for assistance from a significant other. If you do find a lump, don’t panic. Over 80 percent of lumps aren’t cancerous-they’re benign.

Though self-checks are important, Ed Board encourages women to make a doctor’s appointment for a professional examination once a year. After all, they are the experts, and even benign lumps need to be biopsied and/or removed.

Locally, there are many resources for support groups, treatment, education and mammography screening. Ed Board thinks the best Web source for a list of local services is the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, which has a local affiliate in Dallas.

For a list of local services, visit www.komen-dallas.org.

Ed Board also encourages you to do your part to battle this disease in other ways. The 2005 Komen Dallas Race for the Cure is its main event this month. Race for the Cure will be held on Saturday, Oct 15.

The statistics used above were gathered from the American Cancer Society, the National Cancer Institute and the Komen Foundation. Ed Board encourages you to check these sites out for more information. Even if you are never diagnosed, you may have to offer support to someone who has, and it helps to be informed.