Record-breaking season

The No. 24 Mustangs made history over the weekend, as their victory over No. 66 Wichita State on Sunday broke the all-time record for wins in a season. SMU (23-2) has won 12 straight matches, including nine in a row over ranked opponents. The Mustangs’ last loss came on Feb. 14 against the University of Missouri.

SMU began the weekend with a match against No. 59 Nevada on Friday, which they won 4-1. The Mustangs started strong as freshmen Marta Lesniak and Aleksandra Malyarchikova defeated Nevada’s Carolina Bailly and Maria Mizyuk in the first doubles match. After SMU swept the remaining doubles, Lesniak captured a straight set win (6-2, 6-2) over Nevada’s Caroline Bailly at the top singles spot to lead the Mustangs towards their victory.

The Mustangs swept the doubles competition Saturday on the way to a 4-2 victory over the University of Louisville. Lesniak won the top singles match over Louisville’s Lindsey Jones, 6-4, 6-2. In the number two singles, Malyarchikova claimed the victory after Louisville’s Lauren Imre retired from the match. Senior Kseniia Tokarieva defeated Louisville’s Sarah Miller 6-1, 6-2 in the number five spot.

The Mustangs’ match against Wichita State came Sunday when they defeated Shockers 4-0. Once again, SMU did not lose a single match in doubles play, as junior Nicole Briceno and senior Kseniia Tokarieva worked their way to the 18th win of the season. In singles play, Tokarieva rolled over Wichita State’s Florentina Hanisch (6-0, 6-0) and the rest of the Mustangs followed suit for the record-breaking victory.