Kobler wins Presidency; VP, Secretary remain undecided

Junior Patrick Kobler beat out junior Stephen Reiff for Student Body President in the Student Senate Officer Elections this past week, earning 1,159 votes out of 2,404 total.

Reiff garnered 950 votes, 209 less than Kobler.

Kobler said he was excited he won 55 percent of the vote and that he wants to begin making a lot of changes. Some, like getting diplomas put back into the graduation ceremony, will require immediate action. For other plans, Kobler said research will be conducted so that during the next semester Senate will be able to “get going right away.”

The President-Elect also hopes to reinstate the diversity committee during his first meeting as President on April 28, which he noted was usually ceremonial.

Kobler said he thanked everyone for voting for him. For those who didn’t, “I’m here to be a president for those too,” Kobler said

Run-off elections will be held for the positions of Vice-President and Secretary, as neither race produced a candidate who earned 50 percent of the vote. The polls will begin Wednesday at midnight and continue until 7 p.m. on Thursday.

Sophomore John Steitz received the most votes for Vice-President, with 522. He’ll face junior Allison Reyes in the run-off elections. Reyes earned 488 votes.

Both Reyes and Steitz said they would continue campaigning until the election, putting out flyers and meeting people across campus.

Reyes said she expected a run-off since there were originally five people running, but she will be working just as hard to let people know that she’ll her best.

Steitz said he was looking forward to the elections and that it was a great accomplishment to even make it to the run-off election.

Sophomore Peter Goldschmidt (who is a staff member of The Daily Campus) will face off with freshman Michael Sizemore for the position of Secretary. Goldschmidt earned 49 percent of the votes with 950. Sizemore garnered 555 votes.

All four of the candidates in the run-off elections will be allowed to campaign during the elections, but there are no officially scheduled events planned.

Sizemore and Goldschmidt could not be reached for comment.