Kappa Sigma removed from deferred suspension

Fraternity to follow strict rules to get off the hook

The Kappa Sigma fraternity has been removed from temporary deferred suspension to probationary status as of March 18, according to an e-mail to the fraternity from Dr. Lori White.

The e-mail said, “The plan [Kappa Sigma] presented at the meeting for Chapter Leadership, Membership Development, Alumni Leadership and Involvement, Public Relations and Community Involvement is a great start toward addressing my concerns and questions outlined in my letters to you on February 9, 2009 and on March 16, 2009.”

The move from temporary deferred suspension to probationary status is considered an improvement by SMU’s administration. Kappa Sigma is now allowed to host two social events and resume normal chapter activities, which includes electing new officers.

The e-mail from Dr. White went on to explain that in order to be removed from probationary status members of the Kappa Sigma fraternity must:

outline specific steps in working more closely with other university organizations (including other Greek organizations) to strengthen leadership and show university principles can be followed

attend weekly meetings with the Coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority Life to ensure progress is being made

submit a written report providing evidence of progress towards meeting set goals

submit a review of current members to confirm everyone is committed to working towards one goal

attend a meeting with Dr. Webb and members of the Memorial Health Center to discuss events of the fall semester and provide support for individual members needs help

Failure to follow these guidelines could jeopardize the organization’s current good standing with the university.