Wait, what happened to Thanksgiving?

Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus
The Snider Plaza Christmas tree was lit during a holiday celebration Sunday night amidst food and entertainment.

The Snider Plaza Christmas tree was lit during a holiday celebration Sunday night amidst food and entertainment. (Spencer J Eggers/The Daily Campus)

“Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat.” Wait a minute…Christmas is still over a month away, yet I see garland on banisters, white lights on houses and attended the tree lighting in Snider Plaza on Sunday with a peppermint mocha in hand. Isn’t there a holiday that comes in-between Halloween and Christmas?

Growing up, my parents would always address this exact concept — what happened to letting one holiday finish before decorating for the next?

I was blissfully unaware at the time when they were talking about this, all too excited that my visit from Saint Nick would be around the corner.

Now that I’m older, and would like to think infinitely times wiser, I can see their point. Black and orange is almost immediately being replaced by red and green.

Many have argued that Christmas has turned into a commercial holiday and in turn, people have lost sight of the true meaning behind it. Could this be the reason why Thanksgiving is pushed aside?

Saks Fifth Avenue in New York City is set to have their light show on Monday, officially kicking off the holiday season and Lord and Taylor on 5th Avenue in New York City unveiled their holiday windows last Monday.

Even Macy’s, known for their Thanksgiving Day Parade, unveiled their holiday windows in the Big Apple last Thursday.

Is there something wrong with watching a Thanksgiving parade that ends in front of windows decorated for a different holiday?

Upon some additional research, the parade that has rang near and dear to many hearts over the last 80+ years since its start in 1924, began as a parade for a different holiday — Christmas itself.

Being that Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and the biggest shopping day of the year, I can see why stores would want to be decorated in theme. But how bad would it be if they weren’t?

Would people not buy as much? Would people not be in the holiday spirit? This, we will never know.

Although stores will argue that they would not be able to turn their stores into a winter wonderland in time for the holiday season without decorating before Thanksgiving, why does everyone else (towns, organizations and individuals) have to jump on that bandwagon?

Here at SMU some sorority and fraternity houses are decorated, some of which have been decorated for weeks. Preparations for Celebration of Lights are well underway and passersby can now see Dallas Hall and the surrounding area dressed in white lights. Even driving around University Park one can see the excitement of Christmas.

I do commend Highland Park Village, and those other towns, organizations and people for holding off on their decorations until after Thanksgiving.

Even if it’s the day after, like Highland Park Village’s tree lighting event, “A Village Holiday,” on Friday.

It allows people to be fully invested in the Thanksgiving holiday without having a constant reminder of the next holiday to come. Nordstroms has also held off on the decorating because, according to their signage, they enjoy “the idea of celebrating one holiday at a time.”

As you continue to listen to Christmas carols over the radio and hold your Starbucks red cup, think about the holiday that you will be celebrating on Thursday and the true meaning behind it.

I’m not trying to sound like a Grinch, because I do like the Christmas cheer, but don’t let the excitement of Christmas, which is still over a month away, take away from the holiday at hand.