BYX Island provides food, fun

Every day, students gather outside at the tanning pool of the Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports, basking in beautiful weather. Men and women occasionally start up a game of beach volleyball, and some even choose to study as they soak up the sun’s rays.

This Saturday, however, students can experience the luxuries of the Dedman outdoor facilities in a new way by participating in the Brother’s Under Christ Island Party. Held at the volleyball courts at Dedman, participants are allowed to form teams to compete in the tournament.

“Island Party isn’t used to raise money for any philanthropy. We usually break even after all of our expenses like food, prizes and entertainment,” said BYX Vice President Micah Brooks.

“The purpose of Island Party is to provide an event that allows BYX to let SMU students know what we stand for and who we represent.”

The third annual volleyball tournament will begin at 3 p.m. Sign-in starts at 2:30 p.m.

Jonah Werner, a folk singer and songwriter from Colorado, and Alvarado Road Show, a country band from Texas, will provide free entertainment for the event. The concert will start at 9 p.m.

“People should come to Island Party because it’s an amazing opportunity to meet new people, get free food, win prizes and just have fun,” said Brooks. “It’s also an event that allows students to lay back and relax for a day while meeting new people and getting free stuff.”