Letter to the editor

I am disappointed by the lack of discretion displayed by The Daily Campus on the story I wrote covering the sea urchin experiment.  

The title “Sex under the sea” is very inappropriate for a story about third-grade children and SMU’s provost.  Although I do understand that the person who came up with the title idea was attempting to be provocative and trying to draw readers in, there are several reasons why it was a poor choice to publish such a title.

It is a misleading and scientifically incorrect title.  Sea urchin egg fertilization occurs when the gametes combine in the open water.  In addition, the fertilization took place in a Petri dish at the experiment on Saturday. Also, the story has no reference to sex anywhere in the text nor was sex ever brought up during the event on Saturday.

This was a program that Dr. Paul Ludden did voluntarily and purely because he enjoys sharing his knowledge of science. 

I feel that there is a level of respect for the executives of SMU that should be upheld at all times by SMU’s student newspaper.  It should not be suggested that “Sex under the sea” is the lesson that was taught to these children.  The chosen title misleads readers about the content of my article.

My article was an unsolicited contribution to The Daily Campus and I believe its editors should have shown a lot more respect and appreciation by choosing an appropriate title.  As our student newspaper, the Daily Campus should cater to the students of SMU, not exploit them.

-Haven Shea