Spring Dance Concert kicks off the month of April for Meadows

Spring Dance Concert

Meadows’ Spring Dance Concert begins April 1 in the Bob Hope Theatre. The concert features “Holberg Suite,” “Cloven Kingdom” and “Swing Concerto.” “Holberg Suite” was created by Arthur Mitchell, the founder/director of Dance Theatre of Harlem. SMU’s performance marks Mitchell’s 75th birthday, as well as the Dance Theatre of Harlem’s 40th anniversary.

Paul Taylor’s “Cloven Kingdom” features men in tuxedoes and women in pastel dresses, set to formal music and dance. The final piece of the night is “Swing Concerto,” Danny Buraczeski’s celebration of Eastern European Klezmer music and the swing orchestras of Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman.

The Spring Dance Concert runs from Wednesday to Saturday at 8 p.m., and on Sunday at 2 p.m. Tickets are $13 for adults, $10 for seniors, and $7 for SMU students, faculty and staff. For tickets and more information call 214-768-2787.

Comni Lecture Series

“Daoud Corm, Cross-Cultural Encounters and the Origins of Lebanese Modern Art” comes to the Bob Smith Auditorium at the Meadows Museum April 2 at 5:30 p.m. Dr. Sarah Rogers examines the work of Beirut’s first professional painter, Daoud Corm. He was discovered when two Italian Jesuit missionaries came across his drawings, which is the first of many cross-cultural encounters in relation to Corm’s and Lebanese art. The event is free, however, reservations are required and can be made by calling 214-768-2787.

Meadows Distinguished Artist Concert and Masterclasses

One of the country’s most distinguished pianists, Jerome Rose, will offer two free masterclasses starting April 2 and culminating in a distinguished artist concert on April 4. Rose is a graduate of Mannes College and the Julliard School of Music, where he studied with Leonard Shure and Rudolf Serkin.

The first masterclass will be held on April 2 at 6 p.m. in O’Donnell Hall in the Owen Fine Arts Center.

The second class will take place the following day in Caruth Auditorium at April 3. Rose’s free concert on April 4 is at 8 p.m. and is also in Caruth Auditorium. For more information call 214-768-1951.

Meadows Opera Theatre

Opera Free For All

Catch a free opera performance April 3 at 1 p.m. in the Bob Hope Lobby of the Owen Arts Center. The Brown Bag performance “Brush Up Your Shakespeare” features scenes from “Romeo and Juliet,” “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” “Hamlet,” “Othello,” “Kiss Me Kate,” “The Boys from Syracuse,” “West Side Story” and other operas and musicals inspired by Bard’s works. Call 214-768-1951 for more information.

Meadows Art Now

Starting April 4, the McKinney Avenue Contemporary presents an exhibit featuring art from Meadows faculty. The exhibit includes work by Susan Barnett, Peter Beasecker, Rebecca Carter, Du Chau, Charles DeBus, Carola Dreidemie, David Dreyer, Barnaby Fitzgerald, Debora Hunger, Bill Komodore, Peter Ligon, Michael O’Keefe, Larry Scholder, Noah Simblist, Jay Sullivan, Philip Van Keuren and Mary Vernon.

The exhibit takes place until April 25 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and is free. The McKinney Avenue Contemporary is located at 3120 McKinney Ave. For more information call 214-953-1212.

Meadows Symphony Orchestra

Meadows at the Meyerson

The Meadows School annual benefit concert occurs April 1 at 7:30 p.m. Conductor Paul Phillips directs the Meadows Symphony in Corigliano’s Fern Hill, Sibelius’ Pohjola’s Daughter, Op. 49 and Rimsky-Korsakov’s Scheherazade. Tickets are $13 for adults, $10 for seniors and $7 for SMU students, faculty and staff. Call 214.768.2782 for tickets and/or additional information.

Meadows Chamber Music Showcases

Come to Caruth Auditorium at the Owen Fine Arts Center center on April 5, 7 or 13 at 8 p.m. to find a free performance of chamber works, which cover the early Classical period to the 20th century. Pieces composed for trios, quartets and quintets are featured. Call 214-768-951 for more information.