Career Center hosts Expo

An array of students and staff members filled the Hughes-Trigg Student Center Ballroom Wednesday for the annual Career Expo. The event was sponsored by the Hegi Family Career Development Center and offered students a chance to meet with potential employers.

A variety of businesses and industries were represented, from Bank of Texas to Dallas Independent School District. Many employers were looking for full- and part-time job seekers as well as those seeking internships.

Some students, dressed in business attire with resume in hand, were seeking jobs or internships; others came to learn more about careers and jobs in general.

“I decided to come to the expo even though I am not looking for a job,” first-year Jessica Wikstrom said. “I wanted to get a feel for what employers were looking for so I could be prepared in the future.”

Many attendees also got the chance to meet with a representative from a company one-on-one.

“The one-on-one situations are the best way to get prepared and learn more about an employer,” said Marva McGrew, assistant director of the Career Center.

In addition to next spring’s Career Expo, the Career Center is hosting more events in the month of September.

An open house will be held Friday in Hughes-Trigg at 4:30 p.m. This will give students and their families a chance to meet the Career Center staff, learn about services and other events and tour the facilities.

On Sept. 27, an Encore Career Workshop will be held in Hughes-Trigg at 5:30 p.m. This will be an opportunity for all first-year students to explore potential career and major decisions. Immediately following this event will be a program on the most effective ways to follow up after interviews and contacts.