Constitution Day!

Cake is a good way to celebrate this new holiday

In what is probably one of the few bipartisan efforts by our country’s leadership, Democratic Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia introduced a bill to create a national holiday recognizing the signing of the U. S. Constitution. George Bush signed the bill into law, and now, on Sept. 17, we have a new holiday: Constitution Day!

Revolutionary War hero George Washington and 39 delegates from 12 of the 13 original colonies came together in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on Sept. 17, 1787 to sign the document that would become not only the foundation of our government but the model for many other democracies in the world.

The Constitution is the longest-running written constitution in the world, and you should love it. It is the document that gives us, The Daily Campus, the right to print the newspaper you’re holding in your hands right now, as well as providing for a federal government that protects the rights of its citizens with checks and balances.

Constitution Day is a great way for all Americans to take time to appreciate the benefits we receive from the Constitution on a daily basis.

SMU will be hosting its own Constitution Day festivities today in the Hughes-Trigg Student Center. It all goes down at noon, with special remarks from Dr. Jim Caswell and President Turner. The one and only Liz Healy, the SMU student body president, will lead spectators in the Pledge of Allegiance, and a copy of the Constitution will be on display. In addition, Engineering Professor H. Charles Baker, who is a descendent of a Revolutionary War soldier, will be on hand with fellow members of the Sons of the American Revolution color guard to present the United States flag and the Betsy Ross flag. Most importantly, there will be cake.

So come learn about the Constitution, eat some cake, say the Pledge and have some fun tomorrow. Who knows, maybe you’ll learn something.

We really hope you do. After all, the point of the new holiday is to educate Americans.

We think it’s really sad that the legislature feels that Americans need a national holiday in order to pay attention to their country’s most important document. Faced with a generation whose only experience with the Constitution is singing along with the “School House Rock” on Saturday mornings or in a classroom, Ed Board acknowledges the need and supports the government’s creation of Constitution Day.

It’s here, so we’ll do our part. While we eat cake, of course.