Meadows Museum gets face lift

As if SMU didn’t have enough construction on its campus already, the administration has decided to make further improvements. The Meadows Museum is undergoing an extensive makeover to its entry plaza.

The goal of the renovations is to make the museum more open to SMU students and the surrounding community. In its current design, the museum is very closed off to the rest of campus, because of the high brick walls that surround the Meadows plaza. The design for the new entry plaza, conceived by architect Thomas Krähenbühl from Dallas firm TKTR architects, will solve this problem in hopes to make the museum more inviting.

“We wanted to create an inviting space for SMU students and the community, while providing a fitting site to showcase the museum’s important collection of modern outdoor sculptures,” Museum Director Dr. Mark Roglán said.

The new entrance will include new access stairs leading from Bishop Boulevard. The new staircase will include a water feature at the base and 14 planters leading up to the new sculpture garden.

The sculpture garden will feature 9,000 square feet of lawn area, interspersed with crushed granite pathways and stone paved areas with benches for sitting and viewing the sculptures.

The sculpture garden will have a multitude of possibilities in terms of layout. The Garden will have 15 movable planters that will provide flexibility for outdoor exhibits and events.

According to a press release, another aspect of the face-lift will include a large terrace with glass railing that overlooks the Wave sculpture by Spanish artist/architect Santiago Calatrava. The wave sculpture has been a focal part of the SMU campus, because it is positioned at the gateway of campus.

The construction crew plans to create three, strategically located glass railings. These overlooks will allow visitors to view the Sculpture Garden from the street and will further connect it with the rest of campus.

“I don’t mind the construction,” freshman Alejandro Rodriguez said. “If it doesn’t take that long.”

Nancy Hamon, the McDermott Foundation, and the Meadows Foundation, is funding the project. It is expected to be complete in the fall 2009. Because of the construction, visitors can access the Museum via the underground parking garage.

“It will be a great addition to campus and will attract more people to the museum,” sophomore Brittany Wallace said.