The Daily Campus wants to know what you think about the new Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports

Photo by Ben Briscoe, The Daily Campus

The Daily Campus wants to know what you think about the new Dedman Center for Lifetime Sports (Photo by Ben Briscoe, The Daily Campus)

In order to find out how the student body really feels about the new 15,000-square-foot expansion of workout facilities, we headed to the front lines of elliptical machines and barbells to get the inside scoop by stopping members in mid-workout to ask a few questions.

What did you think when your first walked in?

“I thought that this is awesome. This whole gym would be the size of a university in my country,” junior Romina Meuti from Ecuador said.

“This place is amazing. The size — it is really nice. Everything in here is modern and great,” first-year Chris Crawford said.

What do you think is most impressive about the new Dedman Center?

“I like the rock climbing and all of the new machines,” junior business finance major Kellye Hangett said.

“I am all about the plasma flat screens. How great is that,” first-year Frank Giffard said.

“I like that they have all the outdoor activities. They have turned this place into less of a gym and more of a fun place to be,” Anita Relton, a 2002 SMU graduate who purchased a Dedman Center membership, said.

How does it compare to the former workout center, the Cinco?

“This looks like a gym. Cinco did not,” mechanical engineering Ph. D. student Rajeev Dqiredi said.

What about other gyms you have been to?

“I transferrer from ASU and our gym there was a lot bigger, but we had over 35,000 people. The equipment here is much nicer,” Hangett said.

“I have a membership at 24-hour down the street. This place is a hell of a lot nicer than 24,” sophomore finance major Chance Kidwell said.

Have you tried climbing the rock wall yet?

“It was awesome. I fell and hurt myself pretty badly, but they helped me out. It was a great experience. I highly recommend it,” Giffard said.

How will the new center affect your workout schedule?

“I was not working out at all before, so I am going to go start going more. This place is motivating. I can’t wait to workout now,” Giffard said.

How would you describe the Center to someone who has not been here yet?

“Amazing, simply huge and amazing,” Relton said.