Mustangs fall to No. 2 New Mexico, tie No. 9 Creighton

In a tournament that featured two of the top ten soccer teams in the country, the SMU men’s team placed fourth last weekend in the 2005 Microtel Inn & Suites/Golden Hurricane Classic in Tulsa.

The Mustangs lost to the No. 2 New Mexico Lobos 2-0 Friday evening and tied No. 9 Creighton 1-1 on Sunday afternoon. New Mexico, now 8-0 on the season, won the tournament, with Tulsa (3-2-3) placing second. SMU’s record stands at 2-4-2 going into conference play this weekend.

The problem once again for the Mustangs was scoring and shot placement. Statistically, the team generated enough shots, 28 for the two games, but only managed to put four of those shots on goal. In contrast, New Mexico and Creighton combined for 22 shots in the two games, putting 11 of those shots on goal.

Jeff Harwell scored the Mustangs’ only goal of the tournament in the 74th minute against Creighton when he took a shot that beat goalkeeper Matt Allen to the left side. Tim McRae assisted on the goal. Tyler Stansberry had opened the scoring for Creighton in the 66th minute when he beat goalkeeper Steve Sandbo in a one vs. one.

Chris Wright had two unassisted goals for the Lobos Friday evening. SMU goalkeeper Matt Wideman saw his second action of the year against the Lobos, playing the last 34:01.

Senior David Chun and junior Jay Needham represented SMU on the All-Tournament team.

The Mustangs open C-USA play this Friday when they take on UAB at 7 p.m. at Westcott Field.