Texas State Fair opens

A well-known Texas man with a 52-foot frame, size 70 cowboy boots and 75-gallon hat will turn 53 this week.

Big Tex will celebrate his birthday at the opening of the 116th annual Texas State Fair today and will don a new look to commemorate the occasion. He will be wearing “Ariat boots and a red shirt emblazoned with a star,” according to Sue Gooding, the director of public relations and marketing for the Texas State Fair.

The Texas State Fair kicks off with the Opening Day Parade in downtown Dallas at noon, while the official Opening Day Ceremonies start at 7 p.m. in the Hall of State at Fair Park.

Admission tickets are free for children under the age of two and range from $9-$13 for adults and children taller than 48 inches. Tickets can be purchased online at www.bigtex.com or at any Metroplex Kroger.

The fair runs from Sept. 30 to Oct. 23 and will feature food, live entertainment, livestock and food and craft exhibitions, as well as the 212-foot Texas Star Ferris wheel and approximately 75 other amusement park rides.

Gooding voiced her personal excitement about one exhibit in particular. “Elvis is back,” she said. An extravagant collection of nearly 250 Elvis artifacts, personal keepsakes, rare concert mementos and costumes will be on display in the Hall of State in a salute to “The American Music Scene.”

In addition to drawing millions of visitors each year, the Fair also brings millions of dollars to the Texas economy. An estimated $350 million is brought in annually, with a staggering approximation of $23 million accumulated from the rides and food.

The Texas vs. OU football game is another long-standing tradition at Fair Park. This college football battle, which has been played during the Texas State Fair every year since 1929, is scheduled for Oct. 8 at noon.